Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Special Education

I am not so sure as to what my feelings are towards special education. I know that I do not really want to be a special education teacher, but I do think it is important for non-special education teachers to have a general knowledge of what it really is. I do believe that special education is extremely important for teachers and for students. I think that the problem with special education is that people think that special education suddenly means slow kids. That is a very common stereotype that people have about special education. Special education is really just providing students with different tools in order to help them learn better. It is directed to help students with physical, emotional, and mental limitations get the same education as any other student in their grade. I also think one of the big problems with special education is that parents never really want to admit their child may need extra help. Having a child with special needs is not everyone dream, however, it does not mean that your dreams have to end. It may not be as easy as having a child with out special needs, but it will put you through a unique journey that other people do not get to go through. You as a parent or a teacher you get to see things about this special child, that maybe no one else will ever get to see, and that alone is enough to make anyone happy. When it comes to special education and the students that go through it I think that the most important thing to remember is that they can learn, they just need to do it in a special way.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I agree with you Anni, I feel that it is extremely important for regualr teachers to have some general knowledge in Special Education. This is why I plan to get my Master's in it! Nowadays, every classroom has children with diabilities; therefore, it is essential for the teacher to be familiar with them.