Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Random

Yes, I am aware of the fact that I am single handily proving that I am crazy.
When I was little I always thought that the reason that I wanted to be a teacher was because of summer vacation. As I got older there were some times where I saw so many people exceeding at different things that i was never able to do. That always made me think of the saying "those who can do; those who can't teach." in fact I have even been told that by some people and not just kids, yes once a teacher said it to me when I told her I wanted to be a teacher. (you have read about her before) I like to think that the person who said that was never really in a classroom. "Teaching is an art form that requires many thing: an education, a love for children, imagination, creativity, and this little thing called patience; which is why I could never be a teacher and why teachers are next to God in my book." (my friend Grace) The idea of those who can't teach is not true at all. When I think of one of the main reasons why I want to be a teacher aside from other people, the first thing that comes to my mind is that fact that I was never the straight A student. I rarely made the honor roll, I was never in honors or advanced placement classes, but you know what that gives me something that, the person who did have all of this and wants to be a teacher can never have, and that is the ability to understand. If that does not make any sense I will attempt to explain it. I am a firm believer in the idea that their are certain things that you must experience to know exactly what it looks like, what it feels like, and how it feels. What does this all mean? It means that in order to know that a student is struggling with something, you yourself as the teacher must have struggled at something in school before too. It means that a teacher who was not the best student may have an easier time understanding when a student does not understand something, because they have been there before. Now I am not saying that this is always true, of course not the smartest person in the world can be the greatest teacher in the world, or the worst student in the world could be the worst teacher in the world. However, that teacher who struggled in school still brings a unique feeling to the table that the teacher who never struggled in school can never bring. I know that this sounds weird and it sounds like I am trying to put smart people down, but believe I am not, I just see things as I see them.
To go back to the saying that I mentioned earlier "Those who can do; those who can't teach" I think it should be changed, I think that it should be true, I think it should say "Those who can, teach, those who can't do." I don't know about you, but to me that makes more sense. We can even prove it find any profession, any profession at all with the exception of teaching, and find a person who works in that profession. Stick them in a classroom with a bunch of students looking for an explanation, a reasoning, on this profession and have that person explain it to them, believe me it is fun especially if you find some one who believes the untrue or old saying of "Those who can do' those who can't teach."

No comments: