Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Real World vs. Virtual World

Let's face it about ninety nine percent of college students have a Myspace page or a Facebook page, and about ninety percent of that ninety-nine percent have both. We live in a world where Internet communication is widely accepted. So the question here is should teachers or student teachers really have these pages?
To me the question is not really should teachers be allowed to have a Facebook or Myspace so much as what is appropriate for a teacher or any other professional to have on their Facebook or Myspace? In my opinion it is perfectly acceptable to have a Facebook or Myspace, but you have to be responsible about it. You really do not want to have pictures of you being crowned beer pong champion especially if you are under twenty-one on your Facebook or Myspace.
Another point to be made is that when principals and superintendents are hiring new teachers they cannot just assume that plastic cup means there is alcohol near by. That is being prejudice, for everything it is worth there could honestly be water in that cup. I know that I am being naive by saying that, and I think that a lot of that has to do with the fact that I do not drink a lot, and when I do drink I never get tipsy or drunk.
I am not writing this to preach abstinence from Facebook or Myspace, I am writing to say be careful , because once something is on the Internet it is always on the Internet. And than I ask this question. What is worse pictures on Myspace or Facebook or video from a web cam. I will blog on this at some other point. Happy Blogging!!

2 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Anni,

Great points.

Facebook and Myspace are realities of 2008. To assume that teachers and student teachers will delete these accounts may be unrealistic. However, like you pointed out, teachers need to be aware that these pages are public. If they feel comfortable sharing these pages with future bosses, what could be wrong?

Nice posting!

Jaclyn said...

I agree with Dr. Luongo. It is unrealistic to believe that people won't have these pages. And I do agree with you, Anni, about how we need to be more responsible. But at the same time, I can't help but feel that we're young! We have our fun, we do silly things with our friends, and sometimes, the only way of communicationg is through pages like MySpace and Facebook. Heck, I keep in contact with my cousins in Italy on both of those things, plus friends in Ohio and PA! And it's kind of like, you posting pics is a way of them seeing what you've been up too. I think eventually I'll look back and think this is all ridiculous. But I'm guilty of being one of "those people" with the pages and pages of crazy pics. It's just second nature - you come home, upload pics and recap the night with your friends. I don't know. I think in this day and age, we are just so accustomed to technology, that it's a tough call...

Gosh! When did we start worrying about solo cups and future bosses instead of who we'd sit next to at recess? :[