Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Portfolios

I am not really sure how I feel about portfolios. I think that they can be very useful in a classroom, and I would love to use them when I become a teacher. The question is weather or not I will be able to? I know that I would have guidelines for the students to follow when selecting their works for the portfolio. Some of the guidelines I would like to have are that each student must have at least one quiz, one test, one homework assignment, and one classroom assignment, per month per class, another rule that I would have is that they must have one project or one paper per month, this could be from any class of their choosing. I would also like for their portfolios to contain information about them, things like family, friends, customs, traditions, favorite sport to play and to watch if any, favorite after school activity, favorite television show, and awards that they have won ...etc. The reason for this is that I do not think that a portfolio should only be a show of academic work or only a show of recreational work. I think that combing the two will help not only a teacher, but also the students themselves understand more about themselves and what they like and don't like to do both in and out of school. It can also show a teacher what a student is interested in, so that they can try and incorporate interests into lessons and forms of assessment to make it more interesting and appealing to the students. I think that portfolios can be a great thing, if done properly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think these are great ideas, I also agree that students should include other interests besides school work in their portfolios.

Dr. Luongo said...

Anni,

This is an innovative twist on the portfolio activity. I like it!

As we discussed in class, portfolios can take any form you choose...as long as it tells the story you want it to tell.

Thanks!

Wendy said...

I agree with you, it would be a good idea to include more than just the academic work into Portfolios. Portfolios in a sense could really tell a story about someone if both academic work plus recreational work were combined.

sandy said...

hey anni, i think your right about portfolio its always going to be a bite if....even with all the good and creativity it can bring tot he classroom.